Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Brian Selznick!!!

Well, yesterday had sadly come and gone so it's time to write my post all about good ol' Brian Selznick. First things first, my dad got lost. Turns out that the address on the website wasn't where the signing was being held. So I followed my dad on Google Maps for about 15 minutes trying to tell him where to go. When he finally got there he was 15 minutes late and didn't get to record or write down any of the information from Brian's 1 1/2 hour long speech so I'm writing from his memory. He talked about his inspiration for Wonderstruck, a movie about a deaf person he saw a 2 years before he finished The Invention of Hugo Cabret. He apparently keeps a scrapbook filled with inspirations for other books and after he finish Hugo he looked through it and decided he would write about that. He also talked about how walking through the set of Hugo was like walking through his drawings and that he uses models for most of his pictures. The girl who posed as Rose in Wonderstruck he met at a movie theater and when it was over he walked over to the family and asked if she would do it. Turns out that the entire family had just finished The Invention Of Hugo Cabret and were now mega-fans! He said that the next book would come out in around 4 years as well. Also, he talked about how he would spend months and months working on a cool scene for a book then find out that it was terrible and have to cut it out. Brian, if you're reading this I honestly feel sorry for you on that matter. When the presentation was over my dad got in line (#52, My favorite number!) and when he finally got to see Brian Selznick they were talking and my dad was all like, yeah, I made this special trip up here from New Hampshire for my daughter... etc... (Remember that this was in Illinois) and Brian stood up and shook my dad's hand and got all excited because apparently he  has a friend who lives here. My dad gave him my letter and he said that he would write back and look at my blog. I'm pumped again! It's great to know that an author might actually hand write (or type) a letter back to me and not just sending me a boring piece of paper that everyone gets. (Yes, Rick, I mean you.) I'm so glad that the night was a success,. Also to make this fun I decided to pull up one of my wicked old post from February 2010. (Keep in mind that I am not changing anything and that it was my 5th post.)

Saturday, February 20, 2010 The Invention Of Hugo Cabret By Brian Selznick

This book is about a kid named Hugo Cabret who's father spent his whole life ting to fix a machine that writes. After he died it was Hugo's job to fix it. Now when his father tried to fix it he made a notebook that said how to fix it because he could fix it except he didn't work while he wrote. So Hugo has been stealing toys for parts from George Melies who runs a toy store. One day George catches Hugo and steals his notebook and says he will go home and burn it, and when George comes back the next day with ashes Hugo isn't so sure it is really gone and with the help of a new friend Hugo just might get it back.
 
Yes, I even kept the spelling mistakes. Hope you enjoyed a really sad trip to the past and I'll tell you if I hear back from Brian Selznick at all.
 
-Meg
 
PS: Did you know that PS stands for Post Script???
 
PPS: The last Secret Series book; You Have To Stop This, is out.

PPPS: If you would like to see A Trip To The Moon click here.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Finally an author that will take the time to hand write a response to a letter instead of the general response thingy like the one we got from RR
.... I did a book project on the invention of Hugo Cabret. I love how his books are half told through words, half told in pictures!
I wish it were more easier for me to Write book reviews, I would put more on my blog. :) :-) (now he has a nose:)

Meghan said...

I did a project too!!!